There are many reasons why you should not DIY electrical work when it comes to home renovations! You can save money, time and more by hiring a professional electrician. I partnered with Mister Sparky® Electrical to share why it is important to call in a guaranteed professional for electrical work in your home.
When we moved into this house 2 years ago, we knew that adding ceiling lights to our home was a top priority. Not just for the light it provides, but also for the addition of ceilings fans!
While there are many things we can handle ourselves when it comes to DIY and home renovations, electrical is NOT one of them! In fact, my husband works with construction crews for a living and he is adamant that electrical work should be left to a professional.
While I’m one to get my hands dirty and try to save money wherever we can on home improvement projects, I agree with him on this one! Electrical jobs should be left to the professionals. Even though some of the projects you need to have completed may seem small, there are many reasons to call in a professional electrician.
Why You Should Not DIY Electrical Work
- Many of the projects you need completed may need a permit in order to be done. A professional electrician will be able to tell you not only what requires a permit, but should also be able to handle that paperwork for you. It’s so nice to have someone take this off your shoulders! It also means you can avoid a fine down the road since hiring an electrician means it was done correctly and to code.
- It can help in the future sale of your home! Having paperwork for the electrical work that was done to your property makes your home more attractive to prospective buyers. They like to see that the work was done correctly and to also know who to call if there are any future questions or projects they want to tackle. We recently called Mister Sparky® Electrical, and I loved how responsive they were! They had someone out that afternoon which is practically unheard of with some contractors!One of the reasons we liked them was that even though they are locally owned and operated, they still come backed by a national brand. They also offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee so you can be sure they will provide quality service and that you can trust them.
- If you decide to take the leap and try to do some electrical work yourself, you want to be sure you aren’t voiding your homeowner’s insurance policy! With some insurance carriers, if you do your own electrical work and there is a fire or other issue, your insurance won’t cover it. So not only will you be putting your family at risk, but you might not be saving yourself any money anyways by trying to DIY it. With a Mister Sparky technician, you’ll have the peace of mind that they will leave your house safer than when they found it.
- Dealing with electricity requires quite a bit of training to know how to handle it properly. Without that training, you run the risk of electrical shock. Sometimes this can be just a small shock, but there is the very real potential of it being far more serious. A professional electrician knows what steps to take to avoid this danger.Mister Sparky technicians also stress the importance of regular home maintenance to keep your family the safest. They don’t want you to be caught off-guard by an electrical issue!
- As with most DIY projects, it could end up taking you a much longer time than if you had just gone with a professional electrician to start with! When we had an electrician from Mister Sparky out last week, he estimated that he could complete our job in one day! There is no way we would be able to complete it that quickly or that safely on our own. Oftentimes when you’re in the middle of a renovation project, time is money and it can save you lots of headache if you just hand off the job to a professional to start with!
For our particular home, we had to hire someone to run wires through the ceiling and install ceiling fans. This may seem like a DIY project since you can buy ceiling fans yourself at home improvement stores, but it really is best left to a professional.
Not only do they need to know which breaker to run it off of, but they need to install it correctly. It’s not uncommon to have ceiling fans come crashing down because someone tried to install it themselves!
We also wanted Mister Sparky to take a look at our basement while they were here. It’s currently unfinished, but we’re hoping to turn it into a space for our teens to hang out with their friends. That involves centering some of the ceiling lights, adding a light switch and adding some more wall outlets to bring it up to code. All things that we are not familiar with, but the electrician from Mister Sparky assured us he is.
Since I work from home, most of the contractors we hire are here during the day with just me. It’s incredibly important to me that I not only feel safe, but I feel confident that they know what they’re doing and what my husband expects of them.
When the Mister Sparky rep showed up for our first appointment, I actually gave my husband the secret look to let him know that I would feel perfectly comfortable being alone while he worked on our basement! The comfort level only grew as he explained their company’s policy for showing up on time, wearing booties to protect the home’s floors, no swearing, no smoking on property and more.
Basically, you will be hiring someone who not only is skilled with electrical work, but who acts professionally! You can be assured that when you call Mister Sparky, they will send a technician who is not only skilled, but clean, courteous and has passed a background check.
Be sure to check for your local Mister Sparky, so that you can be sure your next electrical job is done correctly and efficiently! Mister Sparky is part of the Direct Energy family, but they have individually owned and operated locations across the country!
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Mister Sparky Electrical.