This Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwich Recipe is also freezer friendly! An easy family dinner that is made more delicious with au jus.
Image credit: Charity Burggraaf
Can I be honest here? Up until two weeks ago, I had never made French Dip Sandwiches before!
Which is a bit crazy considering how much my family enjoyed them. I mean like groaning-and-asking-me-when-I-was-making-them-again kind of enjoy them.
It’s also a little ridiculous that I’ve never made before considering how easy they were! Especially because they were my favorite type of food… freezer friendly!
If you’ve been around this blog at all, you know how much I love freezer meals. The amount of time and money it saves you is amazing! With a little planning ahead, you can enjoy quality meals with very little effort on the day you cook it.
I even have referenced a different cookbook as my favorite for the last 8 years and have sold over 80,000 copies of another person’s cookbook! I really thought that was my ideal freezer cooking guide. But as of today, I’m changing all the links in that post to point to Seriously Good Freezer Meals instead.
Best Freezer Meal Cookbook
There are so many reasons why this has jumped to the top of my list as my new favorite make ahead cookbook! I promise that if you are serious about saving your family time and money in the kitchen, this will become a must have for you as well!
- Karrie uses the same approach that I do when it comes to freezer meals- they don’t have to be casseroles! In fact, she doesn’t use processed foods at all in her cookbook! Once a month cooking can still be healthy and delicious and this cookbook will show you how.
- There are over 150 recipes and the book is filled with gorgeous photography. While the recipe is the most important part, humans are visual. The photography is what draws you in, and it pretty much drew me in to every recipe in this book. I wanted to make them all! My daughter picked these Lemon Dill Tilapia Tacos as the next recipe we try!
- I love that she gives conversions at the bottom of each recipe if you want to double, triple or x6 the recipe. I like to buy my ingredients in bulk to save money, so I use this feature often to make multiple meals from the same recipe.
- In addition to recipes, the cookbook also provides you with ideas for getting organized, making lists, shopping strategies, nutritional information, bulk preparation, freezer organization, freezer meal swaps, thawing, cooking, and more. It’s not just a cookbook. It’s a completely comprehensive look at the concepts behind freezer cooking.
- It doesn’t matter what stage you’re at in your cooking experience, Karrie offers advice for beginners, intermediate and advanced freezer cooks. She also offers a guide if you’re a little crazy like me and want to crank out 50 meals in one day!
- One of my favorite parts of this cookbook, though, is that she offers recipes for every meal including snacks and desserts. This is very rare in the freezer cookbooks I’ve seen, and something that’s much needed! I love having snacks, appetizers and desserts in my fridge for unexpected company or parties.
Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwich Recipe
French Dip Sandwiches
After years of trying to figure out the perfect blend of seasonings and flavors for homemade French dip sandwiches, I finally got it right. Dipping the tender beef sandwich into this delightfully flavorful jus is out of this world. Even though I say all my recipes are good, this one is really amazing — seriously, try it.
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 3 lbs Boneless beef shoulder roast (trimmed)
- 4 cups Beef broth or Homemade Beef Stock
- 1.5 onions (pureed or minced)
- 1/2 cup Tamari sauce
- 1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp yellow mustard
- 1.5 tsp minced garlic
- 4 Bay leaves
- 8 Buns or rolls
- Cooking spray or olive oil
- 8 slices Provolone Cheese
- Using your hands, rub salt and pepper generously all over the roast.
- In a labeled gallon-size (4 L) freezer bag, combine broth, onions, tamari sauce, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, garlic and bay leaves. Add roast and seal, removing as much air as possible.
Make It Now Instructions:
- Marinate beef in refrigerator for a minimum of 1 hour or up to 12 hours. Pour contents of bag into a large (approx. 5 quart) slow cooker. Cook on Low for 7 hours, until beef is tender. Remove roast, reserving jus left in slow cooker. Discard bay leaves. Transfer roast to a cutting board and, using two forks, shred. Preheat broiler. Slice buns in half, spray with a little cooking spray or brush with olive oil, and place on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Broil for 1 minute or until golden and toasted. Remove from oven, place shredded meat on bottom half of bun and add a slice of provolone cheese. Broil for 30 seconds to 1 minute, until cheese is melted. Remove from oven and cover with top half of bun. Skim any fat off top of jus in slow cooker and ladle liquid into small bowls. Serve sandwiches with jus on the side for dipping.
Make It a Freezer Meal Instructions:
- Freeze roast and marinade in bag.
- Thaw and Cook: Place bag in refrigerator for at least 24 hours or up to 48 hours to thaw. Transfer contents to a large (approx. 5 quart) slow cooker. Cook on Low for 7 to 8 hours, until beef is tender. Remove roast, reserving jus left in slow cooker. Discard bay leaves. Transfer roast to a cutting board and, using two forks, shred. Preheat broiler. Slice buns in half, spray with a little cooking spray or brush with olive oil, and place on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Broil for 1 minute or until golden and toasted. Remove from oven, place shredded meat on bottom half of bun and add a slice of provolone cheese. Broil for 30 seconds to 1 minute, until cheese is melted. Remove from oven and cover with top half of bun. Skim any fat off top of jus in slow cooker and ladle liquid into small bowls. Serve sandwiches with jus on the side for dipping.
For more delicious freezer meal recipes, you can purchase Seriously Good Freezer Meals on Amazon.
Grab your copy of Seriously Good Freezer Meals on Amazon, and be sure to PIN this post for future reference!