This recipe for peanut butter popcorn will change your life for the better!
I feel like I’m channeling a little Wicked there. Go ahead, sing to your popcorn, “Because I knew you. I have been changed for good!”
It is that good. You will be belting out Broadway tunes while simultaneously trying to find the best hiding spot in your house so you can hoard it to yourself.
I’m not even a huge popcorn lover. My husband is. Holy goodness, is that man a popcorn freak. He even asks for tubs of it for Christmas gifts. Lame-O.
Unless it was a tub of this peanut butter popcorn. That would take him straight from Christmas Gift Loser to King of the Mountain.
I actually found a recipe for peanut butter popcorn on another site, but it contained corn syrup and I’m trying to avoid that as much as I can. Don’t get me wrong, there is nothing that can replace corn syrup in the gooey, caramely goodness that is sticky bun topping. But I was thinking there was a way that I could avoid it here.
So what else would give us that ooey, gooey-ness that we wanted but not overpower the peanut butter flavor? Marshmallows!!
They worked perfectly and we’ve enjoyed this treat once a week in the month since I made it originally. Yanno, recipe testing and all that. ; )
- 2 3.5 ounce bags of microwave popcorn, already popped
- 1/2 cup 1 stick margarine or butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2- 3/4 cup smooth peanut butter, depending on how strong you want the peanut butter flavor to be
- roughly 20 large marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 225.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, add margarine, brown sugar, peanut butter and marshmallows. Microwave in 1 minute increments, stirring in between, until completely melted. Stir until completely blended.
- Add popped popcorn to bowl, making sure not to add in any unpopped kernels. Stir well until all popcorn is coated. Spread on cookie sheet and bake at 225 for about 20 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- You can eat immediately! You can also choose to skip the baking part, but it helps it set up a little more and not be such a sticky mess!