My daughter isn’t exactly a picky eater (compared to some stories I’ve heard), but she definitely knows what she likes and what she doesn’t like!
When she was younger, she went through about a 2 year period where every time we went out to eat, she ordered a bowl of sliced cucumbers and a bowl of strawberries. Seriously. Everywhere we went. In the beginning, I’d try to tell her that that wasn’t on the menu, and she’d have to pick something from the menu. But the waitress would show up, this little 4 year-old would pipe up with “A bowl of sliced cucumbers and a bowl of strawberries, please!”, and they’d get it for her every time!!
She still has her little food quirks and packing lunch isn’t always the easiest for her. She’s not really a bread eater and won’t eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. So for lunches, I’ve been packing a hard-boiled egg, celery sticks and carrots. This is enough for her at lunchtime (the girl can talk and every 11 year-old girl needs some built-in talking time at lunch!), but she was getting hungry an hour later. On top of that, her lunchtime is at 10:50!! What? Soooo early! So there wasn’t a chance that an egg, celery and carrots was keeping her full until she got home 5+ hours later. And despite what her menu looks like up above, the girl can put away some sweets. She is my daughter, after all.
But I wanted to fill her up and not just send some processed sweets with empty calories. So I made these Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Bars and they have been a HUGE hit! They are incredibly filling and hit that sweet spot just right!
Plus, there is always the added bonus of the house being filled with the fantastic smell of baked goods that you miss out on when you buy processed food! Seriously, for some reason my husband and kids all came through the door at separate times while these were cooking and they each had the same reaction! There were lots of exclamations of “what is that smell?!” and “that smells sooo good!” and, of course, “when will they be ready?”.
We were pretty sure we had a winner before we even took them out of the oven! But then we let them cool a bit and this happened:
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups uncooked old fashioned oats [or quick-cooking oats]
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter!® Spread
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray 13 x 9-inch baking pan with no-stick cooking spray; set aside.
- Combine flour, oats, baking soda, and salt in medium bowl; set aside.
- Beat I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter!® Spread with sugars in large bowl with electric mixer on low speed until creamy. Beat in eggs until blended. Gradually beat in flour mixture on slow speed just until blended. Stir in chocolate chips. Evenly spread into prepared pan.
- Bake 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted 1-inch from edge comes out clean. Cool completely on wire rack.
This was my first time baking with I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter!® Spread, and I am officially hooked! It was so nice not to have to plan ahead and remember to soften your butter. It was just ready to go as soon as I was! Great for a
procrastinator busy mom like me!