For the past week, all I have heard from my son is, “I could really go for a Shamrock shake.”
“Gee, a Shamrock shake would taste good right now.”
“I wonder if other kids get Shamrock shakes?”
“I have my own money if you could just drive me to get a Shamrock shake.”
Now before you start throwing tomatoes and saying I’m a terrible mom… let me just say that this is probably my fault because my kids are 10 and 12 and have never tasted one before this year. I had never tasted one myself before this year! But two weeks ago I caved and got a small Shamrock shake, and then did the worst thing in the history of ever.
I made all 4 of us split it.
Honestly, I thought it would be a nice treat, we’d all get a couple sips and that would curb everybody’s cravings. Instead, I’ve created a monster.
To be fair, the kid could stand to gain a little weight.
But, unfortunately for him, it won’t be by doing any more fast food runs.
So instead I thought I’d make him his favorite cake and we’ll just kid ourselves into thinking it’s for St. Patrick’s Day. You know, the holiday we don’t really celebrate unless you count my daughter’s elaborate leprechaun traps each year.
No one ever said she was subtle.
So while she busies herself with her endless notes and contraptions, I’m going to try to put some weight on the boy.
Mint Chocolate Chip Cake
- Chocolate Cake:
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- 3.9 oz. chocolate pudding mix
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup milk
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- Mint Chocolate Chip Buttercream:
- 2 sticks (8 oz. unsalted butter, softened)
- 2-3 tbsp. heavy cream or whole milk
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tsp. mint extract
- green food coloring
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- 8 oz. chocolate chips
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease 2 8″ cake pans.
- Stir together the cake mix and pudding. Add the remaining ingredients and beat till well combined. Pour into prepared cake pans and bake for 30-40 minutes until it tests done.
- Cream butter until smooth. With mixer on low, slowly add the powdered sugar. Add the heavy cream until it reaches spreading consistency. Add in mint extract and small amount of green food coloring. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Place chocolate and heavy cream in microwavable bowl and microwave for one minute. Stir and then continue to microwave for 20 seconds at a time until it is smooth.