This easy S’mores Muffins recipe is perfect for dessert or breakfast! Loaded with mini marshmallows, chocolate and graham cracker crumbs, it has all the classic s’mores ingredients without all the mess!
We are no strangers to s’mores around here! We pretty much always have the ingredients on-hand and extra wood to throw in the fire pit to get those s’mores going.
But along with the gooey s’mores goodness, we also like to keep extra napkins on-hand for our favorite treats. Because s’mores are messy, folks!
I know that oozing marshmallow and melted chocolate is the whole appeal of the classic treat, but there are times when I just can’t deal with it. If you want a gooey, yummy s’mores treat, try my Peanut Butter S’mores Pizza. If you want your favorite flavors in a neat little package that doesn’t leave your fingers sticking together, try these s’mores muffins!
How to Make S’mores Muffins
If you can make a basic muffin, you can make these easy s’mores muffins! The only thing you might need to plan ahead for is if you want your marshmallows to hold their shape more, pop them in the freezer before you start making your batter.
You only need to have them in the freezer for about 10-15 minutes and they will hold their shape while baking. If you forget or don’t have time for this, no worries. Your marshmallows will still be delicious, they’ll just melt into the muffin a little more while baking.
And, honestly, if you don’t have the Hershey’s chocolate bars or don’t feel like buying them, just use chocolate chips! You’re going for that chocolate chip flavor anyways, so chocolate chips work perfectly fine!
You can easily make these jumbo muffins instead too! Just cook the jumbo muffins for about 18-20 minutes or until they test done. You’ll be able to get 6 jumbo muffins out of this recipe.
How to Make Buttermilk
The next step is to get your buttermilk made so that it has about 5 minutes or so to set before you mix it into the batter.
While you can buy buttermilk at the store, it is so easy to make it at home! I usually start with whole or 2% milk. You can use 1% or skim, but buttermilk is a thick, rich milk so it really is more authentic to start with whole or 2%.
All you need is milk and either lemon juice or vinegar. For every cup of milk, add 1 tbsp. of lemon juice or vinegar. Then just let it sit for at least 5 minutes but no worries if it gets closer to 10 minutes.
Your milk will look curdled (slightly lumpy). This is what you want! The acid in the lemon juice is working! Just pour all of the milk into your batter and continue to follow the instructions!
Easy S’mores Muffins Recipe
I saved some extra pieces of graham crackers and a piece of a Hershey’s bar as garnish on mine. Completely optional, but it sure does give it that extra s’mores touch!
These would work for breakfast, dessert or even a quick after school snack!
- 1.5 cups Flour
- 1/2 cup Graham Cracker Crumbs
- 1/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1 Egg
- 1.5 cups Buttermilk
- 1/4 cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 tsp. Vanilla
- 3/4 cup Semisweet chocolate chips
- 1.5 cups Mini marshmallows, divided
- 1 Hershey's chocolate bar, broken into pieces, optional
- 12 Graham Cracker pieces, optional
- Preheat oven to 375. Line 12 regular-size muffin tins with liners.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, graham cracker crumbs, brown sugar, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine egg, buttermilk, vegetable oil and vanilla. Mix until well combined.
- Stir wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir just until moistened. Fold in chocolate chips and one cup of mini marshmallows.
- Divide batter evenly among the muffin tin liners. Sprinkle remaining marshmallows on top of batter. Bake for 13-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes and then garnish with chocolate bar piece and graham cracker. Let cool completely.
The Herhsey's bar and graham cracker pieces are just garnish after the muffin is cooked and are not necessary.
You can make 6 jumbo size muffins instead of regular-size muffins. Cook for 18-20 minutes or until they test done.
I freeze my mini marshmallows before I bake the batter. If you freeze them, they hold their shape better when cooking rather than melting completely.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 281Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 354mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 2gSugar: 19gProtein: 5g
Nutritional information is provided by a third-party plugin and is an estimate only.
You might be interested in these other S’mores Posts:
- Peanut Butter S’mores Pizza
- How to Set Up a S’mores Party Bar
- S’mores Camping Bucket
- Frozen S’mores Hot Chocolate
Don’t forget to PIN, SHARE and SAVE this post!