Skip to Content

Dress Up Headquarters

Disclosure: As an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. I also participate in other affiliate programs and may earn commissions if you shop through the links used on this website.

Sharing is caring!

Like the bad blogger that I am (honest, I’m working on it!), I don’t have a before shot of this.  Just picture your standard, tall dresser.  With missing drawers and broken supports.

Here’s a shot of the back of the dresser so you can see the original “look” it sported!

This dresser sat in my parents’ shed for many, many years. I’m not really sure why nobody ever got rid of it, but I’m glad they didn’t!  The frame itself was very solid and I loved how the sides looked like horizontal “planks”.

So, with plenty of eye-rolling from my hubby, I took the dresser home and got to work.  I completely gutted the inside and took a hand saw (is that what they’re called??) and just sawed away all the drawer supports.  I tried to get everything as smooth and flush on the sides as I could. Then the eye-rolling husband (who is actually super supportive and only does the eye roll if it’s accompanied by a smile) cut a piece of plywood for me to fit on the bottom. We nailed that in place and then I painted the whole thing with some oops paint I had picked up somewhere along the line.

Then I took some batting I had laying around and stapled gunned it to the inside walls.  Next I found some fabric (yes, I have A LOT laying around!!), and stapled that all around to cover the batting.  Hot glued some ribbon on top cover up the staples and the inside was looking good!

I found a curtain spring rod in the basement from the previous owners that I stuck in the inside and used my Cricut to cut some vinyl out to label the bins. I picked the bins up at The Dollar Tree a couple weeks ago thinking I would use them for Easter baskets and then forgot about them!

I had some wooden knobs I was going to paint and try to screw in, but then BAM!! I remembered I had some flower knobs leftover from a dresser I redid about 7 years ago!  I can’t believe that not only have I not done anything with these in 7 years, but that I knew exactly where to go to find them!!

I hot glued 4 on one side for necklaces and 2 on the other side for hats.

 

 

 

 

Rearranged some things on top and we were ready to call it a day!

 

The best part?? I managed to do the whole thing and only spend $2.12 out of pocket for the bins!  Everything else was free or pulled from my stash! This could easily be modified for a boys’ room to house all the superhero get-ups I know you all have!

 

← Previous
Vanilla Bean Cream Cheese Scones
Next →
Freezer Meals on the Cheap

21 Gorgeous Ways To Quickly Organize The Girls' Room - ThatWoWHome

Thursday 17th of September 2020

[…] Via Aturtleslifeforme […]

Kate

Monday 10th of September 2018

Useful DIY tutorial. I will do it.

My Favorites Friday #3 ~ Toy Organization & Storage - Organizing Homelife

Tuesday 1st of March 2016

[…] dresses in a bin, but they never fared very well being all smushed up.  I love this cute idea from A Turtle’s Life for Me.  She inspired me to upcycle an old piece of furniture we have into an American Girl clothes […]

20 Adorable Ways You Can Upcycle Household Items For Your Kids | www.FabArtDIY.com

Thursday 3rd of September 2015

[…] This tutorial was designed for a kid who really, really likes princesses, but it could also be done in a Spider-Man or jungle theme. Customize the closet to reflect whatever your child likes via A Turtle’s Life For Me. […]

50 Clever DIY Storage Ideas to Organize Kids’ Rooms | Handmade Ideas

Monday 10th of August 2015

[…] DIY Instructions and Project Credit – Aturtleslifeforme […]

shares